Before we take you through our best MTBs under 500 list we need to know that “What necessary attributes should every mountain bike have which makes it perfect?” The mountain bikes are generally meant for riding on mountain trails, unpaved surface, and single-tracked area and so for a better ride on rough terrain these bikes should have specialized features of suspension, powerful breaks, straight handlebars, and knobby tires which enhances the bike traction and keeps the bike on the ground more powerfully. No doubt finding a good mountain bike under 500 is quite difficult! And one faces trouble when he/she gets into the shop to buy some good mountain bike at an affordable price but ends up getting the pricey one with incomplete features . To solve this problem we have listed here the best MTBs under 500. These bikes are not only budget-friendly but one can easily find his/her desired features too.
Could you even think to get the best mountain bikes for under 500 dollars with the most top of the line features? If you are planning to go for such thing then surely you are at the right place.
10 Best Mountain Bikes Under $500
|Best for Beginners||Best for Beginners||Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Overall||Best Overall||Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Fat Tire Mountain Bike||Best Fat Tire Mountain Bike||Mongoose Dolomite Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Men’s Mountain Bike||Best Men’s Mountain Bike||Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Disc Brake Mountain Bike||Best Disc Brake Mountain Bike||Vilano 26″ Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Editor’s Choice||Editor’s Choice||Schwinn Traxion Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Dual Suspension Mountain Bike||Best Dual Suspension Mountain Bike||Gravity FSX 1.0 Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Budget Mountain Bike||Best Budget Mountain Bike||Kent KZ2600 Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Hardtail Mountain Bike||Best Hardtail Mountain Bike||Diamondback Overdrive Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Kids Mountain Bike||Best Kids Mountain Bike||Mongoose Exlipse Mountain Bike||
||Check On Amazon|
1. Huffy Hardtail – Best Beginner Mountain Bike Under $500The huffy Hardtail mountain bike is something that will never put you down and you wouldn’t regret buying this brand. Huffy hardtail MTB is one of the best cheap mountain bike under $200 that you most probably be delighted to hear its remarkable features which offers you great comfort and affordability. Its strong High-tensile steel frame adds to its proficiency and wouldn’t get bend when met with rough and steep grounds with a sudden jolt and allows you to keep on your journey without any hurdle. This bike is superb for those who love riding bikes but frightened of occurring pain in the back and shoulders. Therefore, it is equipped with slight-rise handlebars that prevent and reduce pain. Front and rear steel linear-pull brakes of Huffy Hardtail provide you a strong shield with a quick stop and prevent unintentional accidents that generally occur due to delaying in brakes. Its ATB saddle with stitched sides brings a new level to your comfort. Its Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur accompanied with micro shift twist shifters offers a 21 speed for climbing on bumpy areas and up and down the hills. As the tires play a vital part when it comes to your safety so for this it’s knobby 26″/1.95″ grabs the terrain really well and provides better traction. It offers you 6 eye-catching colors that are charcoal, denim blue, metallic cyan, solar flare, purple and red. It comes in 3 frame size and 2 style size. According to my experience with huffy hardtail MTB, one can easily assemble it in less than 20 minutes. Just attach the first wheel, handlebars, seat, pedals, brakes and you are ready to take your first ride.
- 21-speed gears help you explore the obstacles of rough terrain more efficiently
- inhibits motion instantly
- Easy to assemble
- ATB saddle
- Its flat tires don’t allow the rider to ride on a bumpy area or high jumps
2. Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive – Best Hardtail Mountain Bike Under $500Diamondback overdrive Hardtail mountain bike is 95% pre-assembled when it arrives and wouldn’t require any effort in its assembling. Therefore it is worthy of value due to its ready to ride feature. When discussing its features it has ultra-competitive parts that distinguished it from other bikes. Coming first to its frame, it has a lightweight carbon fiber frame that delivers exceptional performance and adds to its durability. It absorbs a high frequency of vibration than an aluminum frame does and leaves the Rider to ride more comfortably. Diamondback Overdrive MTB is considered one of the best hardtail mountain bike under 500 dollars because it has a Suntour XCT fork with 80 mm that provides a smooth ride as butter and reduces the tiredness when riding on the long trails. It minimizes the impact of shocks and allows the rider to maintain its speed throughout the way. The actual durability of any bike is come to know when it comes to its brakes. The Shimano M315 hydraulic disc brake brings a good control over stopping regardless of the complexity of the terrain. SRAM NX single-ring drivetrain delivers a quick operation. As the tubeless tires have low air to grip the ground more strongly. So it has a Blanchard 25 wheel tubeless tires that give exceptional traction with the ground and prevents the rupturing of a tire. It’s available in 4 exquisite colors that are red, yellow, black, black/red and, blue. Also, it offers you four style sizes: Overdrive 27.5, overdrive 29.2 and overdrive 29er. It comes in 4 different frame sizes and is one of the best carbon fiber mountain bike under $500. Have a look at complete list of carbon Fiber Mountain Bikes available in the market!
- Minimal effort in assembling
- Effortless gear shifting
- Goes well on different terrains
- Tubeless tires
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
- The saddle is a bit stiff
3. Schwinn High Timber – Best 29er Mountain Bike Under 500And now comes the bike with it easy to assemble features. This bike is for people who donâ€™t want to spend much time assembling and is best for people who are looking for some affordable 29er mountain bike. It also fits perfectly for the people with tall height. Now coming down to its features, first come is the frame. Its dependable yet strong frame is constructed with steel and which is why its price is low. This steel frame makes it more powerful to endure plenty of shocks. Moreover, the frame is combined with an SR suspension fork which works efficiently on off-road. By absorbing shocks, youâ€™ll have a more stable and controlled ride. The timber mountain bike frame is attached with a riser handlebar that gives you full control over the ride. The mountain bike enthusiast often desired to hit high speed for off-road trailing and this bike had fulfilled it with its 21-5â€ speed Shimano rear derailleur and Shimano twist shifters that offers you speeds of your choice. Both work incredibly and gives you quick and easy gear changing. It is fitted with alloy linear-pull brakes which gives you a choice to quickly inhibit your motion on off-road riding and offers you an opportunity to explore a variety of rough terrain. While itâ€™s responsive brakes add to your safety factor. It comes with a quick release and comfortable saddle that you can effortlessly adjust according to your height preference. The Schwinn high timber mountain bike is fitted with an alloy wheel that keeps the bike lightweight and rolls on the rough grounds conveniently. Schwinn High Timber is offered in multiple wheel sizes whereas 29er mountain bike under 500 is something you must take a glance at least once.
- Easy assembling
- Durable construction
- Easy to handle
- Plastic Paddles
Read a full In depth Review of Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike
4. Mongoose Dolomite – Best Fat Mountain Bike Under $500Riding a normal bike is all fine but after riding a mongoose dolomite fat tire mountain bike would surely raise your enthusiasm for bikes. The thing which every buyer wants is the comfortable and smooth ride and the Fat bike is often renowned by its huge and wider tires. Mongoose dolomite fat tire mountain bike has 26/4 inch knobby tires which increase its efficiency to cope with terrain obstacles and absorbs the extra weight. Its aluminum/steel frame is designed in such a way that it increases its service life and bears hard elements like loose dirt, snow, and sand. Its SHIMANO rear derailleur shifters effortlessly giving you many gears (7 speeds) to go up and down the hills and even on harsh trails. It becomes all-rounder when it comes to brakes. Dual disc brakes give you complete control over the stopping even on low grounds like mud, snow, and hazardous conditions and assure that you will remain safe throughout the way. Its large paddle and 3 pieces crank to let you turn your wheel comfortably. It comes with a twist shifter and allows the rider to shift gear in a fraction of time. For added speed and performance, the strong alloy rims keep it lightweight and add to its durability and efficiency. The ways never remain even so if you are riding on a rugged area then this will give a great experience. Its headset adjustability will be effortless and didnâ€™t ask for much time in adjustment. Itâ€™s available in three beautiful colors that are navy blue, light blue, and red. Its rigid frame bears weight up to 250 pounds and take less time in assembling so grab your fat bike and conquer the rough terrain.
- Ideal for riding on Mountain, Sand, and Snow
- Dual Mechanical Disc Brakes
- Shimano components
- Quite Uncomfortable Saddle
Â 5. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 – Best Downhill Mountain Bike Under 500You may not be satisfied with your current mountain bike by the reason of its inefficient and non-smooth ride through the single tracks, downhills, and more of the steepest hill. Then donâ€™t scroll further we have found your desired bike that is right in front of your sight. The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 mountain bike has left every bike far behind, which promises you to deliver an efficient and durable ride throughout the journey. But this bike has done what it claims, with its great brilliance and aesthetic frame gives you an enjoyable yet smooth off-road experience. If we put a glance on its incredible features, first come to its strenuous aluminum alloy frame not only keeps it lightweight but also increases its service life. Another feature that contributes to its durability is its rust resisting property and doesnâ€™t get easily affected by corrosion. The thing that makes it unique is its triggers shifting gears. It is fitted with 24 speed Shimano EZ-fire trigger shifters collaborate with Shimano Altus rear derailleur offers you plenty of speed to help you ride on a bumpy area. It not only demands an effort in changing gears but with its 24 speed, you can have multiple choices of speed for all your terrain conditions and helps you tackle all challenging routes. The only factor that ensures your life safety is brakes. It is equipped with pro-max disc brakes on the front and linear-pull brakes on the rear that provides an all-condition stopping whether in muddy areas, rough terrain, and paved surface and out the person riding it on ease. Its light yet strong alloy rims hold 26-inch wheels and knobby tires that minimize the difficulty factor which rider feels while riding on tricky areas and provides an academy of terrain fun. The handlebars provide an easy grip around it and give you the confidence to explore something new. Its sturdy three-piece alloy crank gives a stable ride and makes it less pesky. It can hold weight up to 220 pounds with a height of 6ft. It comes in three eye-catching colors that are red, red/blue and matte/blue with two style sizes.
- 24 gears provide an academy of terrain fun
- Best for the people with a tight budget
- Powerful disc brakes inhibit motion instantly regardless of the conditions
- Not available with a water bottle cage
Are you using WD40 as a Mountain bike Chain Lube. If yes, stop using it! Read Bike Reviews Hub research on WD40 as bike chain Lube
6. Cadywolf Mountain Bike – Best Aluminum Alloy MTBMountain bicycles are bikes planned primarily for rough terrain cycling. They have a few likenesses with different kinds of bicycles, yet include key highlights intended to improve toughness and ability to perform smoothly in rough terrains and this is exactly what CADYWOLFF mountain bike is giving to us. CADYWOLF is constructed of 6061 aluminum alloy, possessing a frame that is light and solid. Furthermore, its surface is statically dyed and distempered with solid attachment and is rustproof. It also has frame stickers that are self-adhesive with brilliant shading and have the quality to not peel off itself. Adding to it, this bike is furnished with a 27.5″ wheelset which has little grain design on tires diminishing the resistance caused by them. It is perfect for high mountains and wild city streets. The front and back double-disc system can slow down delicately giving you control of the bike. CADYWOLF mountain bike comes 85% assembled making it easy for you to start as soon as possible. It also contains Shimano speed accurate derailleur which provides smooth transmission absent the slip chain.
- It has an original part paid replacement system in case of damage
- Comes with tools to assemble
- It has a delicate body
7. Vilano Ridge 2.0 – Best Trail Bike Under $500This bike didnâ€™t fail in making its way in peopleâ€™s lives with its invincible features and that is what separates it from the competition of crowded mountain bikes. Itâ€™s is designed for trail riding, daily commute, and cruising. This frame makes it an easy-going vehicle as it maintains stability and adds to its rigidity and stiffness. Looking down to its features, the frame is constructed with a butted 6061 Aluminum that helps increase its life span and it is also a great advantage for a rider as it endures the excess weight and allows the rider to carry on its journey smoothly. It has mechanical disc brakes that are specialized for them to be used anywhere even if it is a jam traffic area or a gravel area. The resistance of these brakes towards anything is what made it special and unique than those brakes which may not be efficient enough for an emergency. But these mechanical disc brakes keep the vehicle all protected from the things that are ready to collide with the bike. It had a suspension fork with lockout endures bumps with higher frequency and enhances its rigidity. The rims are made up of magnesium alloy. Its Shimano Tourney 21 speed derailleur delivers the maximum speed for easy trail shifting. Gear shifters are of Shimano EASYFIX so it helps the rider to decrease their hand movement which results in the comfort of the rider. Crankset system with the KMC chain offers an easy turning and smooth ride experience.
- Its double-butted aluminum alloy frame and alloy rim makes it super light
- Its lockout system offers quick shifting
- Cost-effective bike
- This bike has no light which is crucial for night travel
8. Schwinn Traxion – Best Full Suspension Mountain Bike Under $500We have placed here the best 10 mountain bikes for you so it doesnâ€™t make any difference that which product we place on top and which on last. You would be fortunate enough if you have this bike in your daily routine. Its marvel features that add to your comfort and allow you to ride the bike without any hindrance is one of the many reasons why the mountain bikers are attracted in such a way that they are forced to not just buy it but also be the reason of getting popularity among the costumers. Especially the one that is given below have formed a way to peopleâ€™s life because of its incredible features and its long life that makes it easy for you. May not be as reliable as this irresistible bike. Some of the features that you surely be tempted to hear are given below. Itâ€™s aluminum dual suspension frame and Schwinn suspension fork is long-lasting yet rust resisting and also lightweight which made it easier for riders to carry on there with a smooth carefree ride. This bike is equipped with mechanical disc brakes that are safest in terms of fight and flight situation and offers the rider to stop its bike regardless of the rough conditions and prevent bike skidding. The working efficiency of both 24 speed EZ fire trigger shifter and front and rear Shimano derailleur results in a smooth and effortless gear changing. The double lining of alloy rim provides strong support to its spokes and makes it durable. Its 2.25-inch knobby mountain tires are designed to move on irregular surfaces without any resistance in a ride. Alloy crank another added feature makes it easy for the bikers to keep the gear steady and stable and provides a comfortable turning and would absolutely require no effort from the biker. It is available in two attractive colors.
- Provides an academy of all-terrain fun
- Wheels roll perfectly on the ground
- Delivers a comfortable riding experience
- No cage for water bottle
- Can be quite heavy
9. Sirdaar S-700 Mountain BikeThough the Sirdar is one of the best-rugged bikes on the market, and with its ruggedness, it tends to overcome every hurdle that surface encounters on its way. The catchy frame looks so cool and pretty that you will never feel hesitant when you cruise around your town. It arrives at your door, 99% assembled along with installation video for your ease. The most amazing part of this bike is that it offers you two saddles for the type of rides you want accordingly. When you feel the need to meet your friends or to go around the town for excursions you can install the one with silver and black strips on it. And while your inner professional biker wants to hit the cross country, you can have the plain black saddle on it. Both the front and the rear section has disc brakes for added safety and owns the best stopping power.
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy and lightweight frame
- 2 Replaceable Saddles
- Brakes, wheels, and chain have a squeaky sound while riding
10. Gravity 2020 FSX 1.0 – Cheap Full Suspension Mountain BikeMountain Bikes has ever been a great invention when it comes to trail riding and this GRAVITY FSX 1.0 has taken it to the next level with its exceptional features and credibility. Most of the people contemplate getting a cheaply made product if they spend a less amount on mountain bikes because this is something you wouldnâ€™t compromise on its quality and this is what GRAVITY FSX MT promises for. Itâ€™s well welded hydro-formed aluminum frame is super lightweight and at the same time receives high-frequency shocks with proficiency when faces the high jumps and ditches. Its SHIMANO 24 speed gear shifters work with front and rear derailleur, shifts effortlessly, gives you an enormous speed, and going uphill would be an eating a piece of cake. It also holds a rear coil-over cartridge which is adjustable according to your preference. TEKTRO NOVELA front and rear disc brakes offer you the quickest stopping even in a wet area and contribute to your safety factor by releasing a high amount of friction which instantly inhibits the motion and also slows down the bike when needed. Strong yet lightweight aluminum frame of Gravity FSX 1.0 MTB holds a super comfortable saddle and prevents a sore butt when covering a long distance. Its Suntour triple crankset offers you an effortless turning and adds to its reliability. Itâ€™s 26 by 2.1 tire offers a long-distance trail with better traction on gravel roads. According to our reviewers, a man with up to 200 pounds can easily ride this bike. Itâ€™s available in four brilliant colors that are black, grey, white, and yellow and have 4 different frame sizes.
- Powerful Disc Brakes
- Great handling on off-road
- 24 speed drivetrain for quick shifting on rough terrain
- Shimano Acera rear derailleur
- Cheap price
- Some customers complained about the lack of warranty support
11. KENT KZ2600 – Best Dual Suspension Mountain Bike Under 500Getting a bike with less price and good quality is a whole lot thing and is quite hard to believe in. KENT KZ2600 Dual suspension mountain bike is one of those and hence we have placed here after the mongoose status mountain bike. Its cheap price with durable features makes it best budget dual suspension mountain bike. Its specifications comprises of a rear derailleur and 21 speed Shimano rapid fire shifters mounted right underneath the handlebars and allows the rider to shift gears without putting their hands off from the bars. It has a 26-inch double-wall alloy rim with 36 spokes which adds to its strength and efficiency. This mountain bike has a 65mm travel of suspension fork which absorbs the shocks and weakens the impact of rough grounds. Front disc brakes and linear-pull brakes do stopping, however, the suspension frame is designed with the aluminum.
- Suspension fork 65mm travel
- Quick-release seat post clamp
- Alloy Wheel Rims
- Required a little effort in adjusting the gear shifters
For more detailed guide about Kent Kz2600, take a look at KENT KZ2600 Dual Suspension Mountain Bike Review
12. Mongoose Exlipse – Best Ladies Mountain Bike Under 500Mongoose mountain bike for men and women is so far best Mountain bike among the ranking and for the durable features we have ranked it on top of the list. As the mongoose status mountain bike comes with a dual suspension which allows a rider to ride up to straight 4 to 5 hours even on the rough terrains. You can even tow a trailer for your toddler and still, you can have a smooth ride through trails and paved surface. Not only this, with its strong aluminum frame and rim a rider wouldn’t find any hindrance throughout his her commute and that is what makes it of tremendous value. However, only its frame and rim are of aluminum which makes the bike lighter because lighter the bike the longer you can ride. Mongoose Exlipse Mountain Bike allows up to 300lbs weight so from 6ft taller men to teen-agers all can easily ride it. It has a trigger type gear changing mechanism and offers you four exquisite colors that are RED/BLACK, TEAL, YELLOW, and SILVER. Mongoose status mountain bike has a large paddle area which allows a better sneaker gripping.
- Dual suspension system
- Bear up to 300lbs weight
- Best for both single track and paved surface
- Wide paddles
- A little sore but only if you ride it for a prolonged time but ok if you use a gel pack before riding it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) of Best MTBs Under $500What is the Best Mountain Bike under 500? Diamondback Overdrive 29 is a great mountain bike from many years. What is the Best Full Suspension Mountain Bike under 500? Schwinn Traxion Mountain Bike isÂ What are the best mountain bike brands to buy under 500? Schwinn, Mongoose, and Diamondback are the best mountain bike brands to buy under $500. What is the best fat mountain bike on amazon.com under $500? Mongoose Dolomite Fat Mountain Bike.
Concluding Remarks about Best Mountain Bikes Under $500In this full of the busy world we have plenty of gadgets to spend our leisure time at home but riding a mountain bike not only maintain your mental health but also keeps you connected with nature. In a nutshell, the mountain bike has got the mainstream popularity with its invincible features, so grab your favorite mountain bike from the above list of best mountain bikes under 500 and explore the adventurous trails.
Related Cycling Buyerâ€™s Guides
- Best Mountain Bike Elbow Pads
- List of 10 Best Mountain Bikes Tailgate Pad
- Testicular Pain After Bike Ride â€“ Causes, Prevention, And Treatment
As much as I remember, I started cycling when I was 5 years old. So I got to know that the passion for riding it runs through my blood but buying the right bicycling equipment and trustworthy information is another story. Always betrayed by sellers and even by friends so I decided to revolutionize it. When choosing bicycling products, I evaluate user’s experiences, different forum discussions, and other social media debates. I do in-depth research on every topic I publish to share with you the most valuable and trustworthy information. Read more about the way I choose the best cycling products and my transformation journey from riding it as a hobby to becoming my passion.
2 thoughts on “Best Mountain Bikes Under $500  – Top 12 – Reviews”
Which bike is best for mountain and plain roads? i’m livinig in Freiberg Germany, so i’m looking for a dual purpose bike!
wonderful Guide about mountain bikes under 500 dollars. It took time to find the bike which I was looking for but happy to find some updated content. Although all of them are worthy to buy but I ordered Kent KZ2600 from Amazon.